Classification: Analyst/Programmer - Career
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Low to mid $7,000's/month
CSU Salary Schedule
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: January 9, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Enterprise Application Services, the incumbent is responsible for the System Administration, System Monitoring, Performance and Tuning, Patches and Fixes, Clones/Backup/Recovery and Infrastructure Configuration for the Information Technology (IT) Enterprise Operations and System Administration Support Group. This includes working independently on assigned tasks in close collaboration with other members of the IT team to address the specific needs of the University.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Setup, configuration, customization and administration of enterprise applications, databases and infrastructure including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services. Focus on process automation and documentation with an emphasis on increasing efficiency and effectiveness of environment setup and configuration, processes and workflows.
- Maintain reliable uptime/operations, security protocols, user permissions, license management, sandbox management and documentation. Monitor and evaluate system performance including performing regular system maintenance, event monitoring, data integrity and data cleansing activities.
- Coordinates and performs system upgrades and infrastructure, new or modified system and client installations. Assists users with systems problems and troubleshooting. Escalates and coordinates resolutions with appropriate system and user groups.
- Perform regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures.
- Collaborates with EAS and cross-functional/technical teams in requirements gathering, planning, coordination and implementation of new campus systems and projects.
- May direct the tasks of student assistant(s).
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: Enterprise systems, applications, and technical standards; Linux/UNIX operating systems, database productivity tools including Oracle Enterprise Manager, SQL, SQL*Plus, PL/SQL, and SQL*Loader; data administration principles and data modeling concepts; technical and vendor documentation and ability to maintain internal documentation; system development life cycle and structured systems development concepts; system capability, design restrictions, and security requirements; client/server technologies, network connectivity, integration, configuration, and protocols.
Ability to: apply consultative skills to assess user needs and communicate technology systems and solutions; maintain databases and middleware applications through performance tuning and applying patches/fixes/upgrades; develop program implementation plans, install software, and apply fixes; identify hardware/software interface problems; perform interactive debugging and to test and analyze program failures; use systems work flow and logic flowchart techniques; use project management tools.
A basic foundation of knowledge and skills in database management, applications packages and programming, systems analysis and related programming support functions is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science or business, or equivalent training and applied experience. Working knowledge of industry standard applications programming languages and knowledge of standard systems analysis techniques.
- Experience with database technologies (Oracle, MySQL, Redshift) with strong command of PL/SQL, OEM, RMAN and OAS
- Subject Matter Expert with cloud end-to-end architecture, including AWS and future providers.
- Experience with Linux and Windows Server environments including shell script
- Experience with deploying/customizing 3rd party add-ons and managed packages
- Experience with data integrity, data quality, data migration and data maintenance
- Project management skills and experience driving programs independently
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent, in addition to the required experience.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- This position will have responsibilities that require the employee to possess a license, credential or other certification in order to meet minimum job qualifications and/or to qualify for continued employment. Specify license, credential or certification required:
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards
- control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
There are components of this job which are deemed essential on campus. This position will primarily work on the main campus, with occasional work from home. This position requires working on campus with students. The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. In the fall, students, faculty, staff, and the community can expect that masks will be required and that the appropriate degree of social distancing will be in place in all areas based on evolving guidance. Additionally, all students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to be vaccinated before coming to campus. All community members who work or attend class on campus should expect to participate in a random or periodic testing system. CSUMB will communicate more information about vaccination requirements and testing protocols when the details become available.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.