Classification: Network Analyst - Career
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Low to mid $6,000's/month
CSU Salary Schedule
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: October 16, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of Network Services, and with oversight provided by the Network Pathways Analyst Lead, the Network Pathways Technician is responsible for assisting with the maintenance, installation and design of major portions of the University’s Network and Telecommunications physical plant infrastructure; including copper, fiber optic, coaxial, RF, microwave, and satellite infrastructure. Physical plant infrastructure includes:
- Pathways (e.g., conduits, equipment racks, cable management
- Media (e.g., copper for telecom and Ethernet, coax and fiber optics for TV and Data)
- Spaces (e.g., manholes, cable vaults, and telecommunication rooms)
- RF, microwave, and satellite infrastructure, including the CATV distribution systems, cable modems, and other purpose specific Information and Communication Technology (ICT) systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains day-to-day network connectivity to the full variety of Campus network devices through typical M/A/C work generated through the IT service request system. Includes maintenance of ICT spaces and facilities.
- Troubleshoots network system failures and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
- Provides Tier-1 maintenance and support for new and existing security cameras.
- Prepares, maintains, and disseminates network-related Tier-1 support information to the IT@CSUMB Help Desk in order to equip them to resolve problems at the Tier-1 level whenever possible.
- Support the Telecom Team with infrastructure support, such as end-to-end line tracing, network tracing, and blue-light phone maintenance.
- Assists with analog and digital fiber optic and coaxial cable broadband head-end and distribution systems to 1GHz, including: satellite delivery systems; signal acquisition and processing systems; video generation, switching and processing systems; video servers, tape and other media handling products; single channel and broadband RF amplifiers, filters, and equalizers; RF return signal systems, and cable modem access technologies.
- Provides Tier-2 and Tier-3 support to the IT@CSUMB Help Desk regarding network-related service requests.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Act as a liaison with product and/or service vendors as applicable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Plan, design, and engineer of assigned network
- Analyze information processing, transmission, and data movement needs
- Analyze system elements such as system cabling and software and expansion capacity
- Evaluate software/hardware network features
- Coordinate network development activities with systems as appropriate
- Act as the technical liaison for network product or system vendors.
- Ability to operate applicable network equipment and application software programs
- Ability to resolve impaired service conflicts.
- Ability to determine the most cost-effective structure and design for the network.
- Ability to comply with and oversee compliance with industry and Campus standards
- Ability to determine appropriate transmission media requirements for voice, data, and video applications
- Act as a liaison with product vendors
A basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical, information network systems is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, industrial technology, telecommunications or a related technical field, or equivalent training and experience.
Excellent network troubleshooting skills. Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the skills, knowledge and abilities identified above.
- Extensive experience with network cabling troubleshooting and repair
- A broad experience with a variety of cable test tools and equipment; a good understanding of testing methodology.
- Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the Core Values of applied, active, and project-based learning activities; interdisciplinarity; multicultural and global perspectives; technological sophistication; service learning; ethical reflection and practice; and collaboration.
- Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
BICSI training or certification desirable; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check)
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access; responsibility for operating commercial vehicles, machinery or equipment that could pose environmental hazards or cause injury, illness, or death.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. This position also requires sitting, standing, bending, pushing, pulling, walking, talking and using manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, the use of ladders and power tools, and ability to lift 20-30lbs.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.