Classification: Equipment/Systems Specialist - Career
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Low $5,000/mo
CSU Salary Schedule
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: October 30, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of the Center for Academic Technologies (CAT), and the day-to-day work direction of the assigned lead, the Instructional Technologies Technician provides support services to the university for instructional technologies, including software, equipment, and events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Installs, maintains and supports instructional technologies in multiple venues and modalities.
- Designs, programs and troubleshoots A/V control systems.
- Conducts training sessions and provides support documentation for instructional technologies.
- Participates in the planning of new or renovated instructional spaces and integration of instructional technologies.
- Stays abreast of current instructional technologies and integration processes between enterprise systems.
- Maintains records and reporting data as designated.
- Participates with the academic technology team in planning, training, and professional development for the university.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: Familiarity with materials, methods and techniques used in the completion of assignments. Adept at using required tools, including computer systems, to accomplish tasks. Knowledge of applicable industry and safety codes and/or standards that apply to work environment and equipment.
Ability to: differentiate between hardware and software problems; install and configure equipment, connections, wiring and cable as required working from layout or plans; read and understand technical manuals and related documentation for equipment/systems that interconnect with or interface to installed equipment base; use a variety of test equipment and diagnostic software to ensure technology operation; ensure integrity between hardware and operating systems.
A basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical systems and equipment is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through an associate of arts degree in electronics, telecommunications, or industrial technology or equivalent education, training, and/or directly related experience.
Knowledge of modern A/V devices and their integration into existing networks. Multi-platform computing fluency (OSX, Windows, Chrome). Current knowledge of instructional technology equipment and software and its capabilities and applications. Ability to apply previous experience and knowledge to the design of new applications and processes. Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of technical projects. Ability to work collaboratively with all members of the university and community. Strong personal initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical concepts and ideas to non-technical individuals. Demonstrated commitment to providing quality customer service.
Knowledge of current trends and emerging developments in instructional technology hardware and software. Experience in the management of instructional technologies, preferably in an educational setting. Experience in planning and delivering training activities in the effective use of instructional technology equipment. Current knowledge of assistive technologies, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the unique needs of individuals to whom the ADA applies. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB's Vision.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property
- responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access
- responsibility for operating commercial vehicles, machinery or equipment that could pose environmental hazards or cause injury, illness, or death
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority, will be required to participate in annual training, and to immediately forward to the Clery Compliance Officer all reports of Clery Act crimes brought to their attention.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. May require lifting over 50 pounds.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.