Classification: Administrator I
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $6,619 - $6,866 per month
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: January 29, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice President for Finance, the Manager for Finance Administrative Support is responsible for planning, and managing most administrative activities related to Finance sub-division and all assign departments (Budget, Accounting, Business Support Services, Administrative Systems Management, and the office of the AVP), and campus audit activities. The Manager is also responsible for coordinating long-term and short-term special projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for overall office administration and management of the Office of the AVP while ensuring day to day operations of finance and all assigned departments are accomplished, including addressing workflow and establishing and tracking priorities and deadlines in concert with the AVP and appropriate department director. Administrator of all off campus training and development for the finance area, and the finance area’s business continuity plans.
- Manages campus audit process and serves as liaison in coordination with the Associate Vice President for Finance for CSU, Monterey Bay with Chancellor's Office, and federal agencies implementing policies and procedures to ensure compliance and correct interpretation of regulations and recommending changes in University policies.
- Manages the communication plan for finance and assigned departments. In concert with department directors, maintains all webpages and ensures compliance with university communication standards. Additionally, generates, reviews and disseminates correspondence on behalf of the AVP, and reviews incoming material for assignment and coordination as appropriate.
- Oversees and manages the finance area’s budgets. In concert with the Administrative Officer, Office of the Vice President for Administration and Finance and appropriate directors, coordinates the annual budget submission for finance areas, monitors budget to actuals and takes appropriate actions to ensure the finance budgets remain in balance.
- Supervision of Finance Administrative Support staff.
- Coordinates special projects both short-term and long-term as assigned by the Associate Vice President for Finance.
- Represents the AVP and departments as necessary in various capacities and communicates pertinent information back to finance leadership ensuring continuity of communication.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of and ability to use analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills with the ability to work creatively and collaboratively with the finance leadership team. Knowledge of administrative techniques related to the development and implementation of appropriate methods of work planning, scheduling, and coordination. Proficiency in the use of personal computers, including appropriate software.
Skilled in modern project management, communication methodologies and most important a high level of leadership acumen. Proficiency in the use of personal computers, including appropriate software.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to plan, organize, manage, and train a diverse number of functions and personnel; set appropriate priorities to effect timely completion of numerous concurrent tasks within defined resource limitations; write reports, specifications, policies, and procedures covering a wide range of operational responsibility under defined duties. Must have the ability to perform a wide range of complex and responsible management and technical assignments associated with business administration. Additional abilities include: training and evaluating the productivity and performance of other employees; analyzing situations and take corrective action; maintaining effective working relationships within a diverse environment of administration, faculty, students and external contacts.
Education: Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Business/Public Administration, or a related field, and/or equivalent training and executive administrative support experience.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience in administrative support functions and managing complex projects and communications, AND two (2) years’ experience analyzing, organizing or coordinating the work of others. Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the knowledge and abilities identified above.
Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent student information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs. Understanding and experience in modern webpage maintenance and communication.
Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services. Demonstrated technical literacy.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with access to, or control over, cash, checks, credit cards, and/or credit card account information; and access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.