Classification: Public Affairs/Communications Specialist II
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,700 per month
CSU Salary Schedule
*CSUMB provides pay scales representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for this position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, and CSU systemwide pay for comparable jobs.
Priority Screening Date: April 18, 2023
Recruitment Status: Extended
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Dean of the Extended Education and International Programs and day-to-day work direction of EEIP Marketing Specialist, the incumbent is responsible for creating, reviewing and editing content for publication on the website, email campaigns, social media pages, and other marketing and communication outlets. The communication specialist is also responsible for researching Key Search Engine Optimization (SEO) terms and implementing them in the content to gain maximum exposure. Moreover, the communication specialist is expected to work simultaneously with the marketing team to maintain consistency between marketing campaigns and content published.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Content Development
- Authors, creates, curates, produces, and posts information that keeps the community informed of current EEIP news, happenings, and events, and properly markets the message of the College in order to reach goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with colleagues and clients, to plan, develop, schedule, and publish college web pages with original or curated content.
- Creates on-brand content including writing copy, editing and sizing photos, web objects, and editing HTML tags to correct display issues and create the desired content presentation.
- Takes photographs and videos to create media to accompany written content in digital publications. Edits photos and videos with Adobe Creative Cloud or similar software prior to posting.
- Develops, researches and positions stories including conducting interviews and creating story content and layout, proofreads content for clarity, grammar, spelling, AP and brand style.
- Creates and implements direct email marketing campaigns including email templates using graphics, personalization, and variable data display features; ensures cross-platform and mobile-friendly email messages. Ensures emails follow industry policies and best practices, including accessibility standards.
2. Website & Social Media
- Implements strategies and tactics to qualitatively enhance engagement with key stakeholder audiences within a context of supporting enrollment and other specific college goals and objectives.
- Participates in the ongoing review and updating of the college website pages; design and layout webpages to enhance user experience.
- Optimizes Search Engine Optimization (SEO) driven content and increase site traffic by researching the key SEO terms and incorporating them into the content to achieve maximum viewership.
- Measures and monitors college website and social media traffic statistics.
- Stays up-to-date and informed with changes in all social media platforms ensuring maximum effectiveness.
- Monitors the increase in traffic due to new content and take actions accordingly to improve traffic metrics.
- Ensures that the content is compliant with the copyright and data protection law. Follows university policies and best practices, including accessibility standards
- Collaborates with colleagues and clients, to plan, develop, schedule, and publish to social media accounts with original or curated content.
3. Programmatic Marketing:
- Working with the EEIP Marketing Specialist understands the short-term and long-term marketing targets and then develops content strategies accordingly.
- Maintains consistency in content and ensures alignment with the brand history and future plans.
- Supports email marketing campaigns, updates lists and list segments, and creates email databases for lead generation.
- Works with print and broadcast media, and pay-by-click companies to book advertising and follows media schedules.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge: Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, practices, principles and techniques related to communications in the public affairs, media, marketing, and/or sports information areas. Thorough knowledge of and ability to use effectively media outlets including planning media coverage and media publicity campaigns for the university and events. Thorough knowledge of web communication techniques, vehicles and formats. Working knowledge of copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media. Knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver media messages. Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods. Working knowledge of applicable software packages.
Skills: Strong story development and journalistic writing skills, as well as advanced editorial skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public speaking, listening and interpretive skills. Strong writing and editing skills to quickly produce clear and concise standard documents for internal and external publication.
Ability to: to build and manage more sophisticated media contacts; effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals; analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into communication vehicles; apply market research to identify communication needs and target audiences; provide lead work direction; appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information. Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of campus events and subject matter expertise in relation to current events to identify and capitalize on media opportunities that will promote the university and increase positive media coverage.
Entry to this classification requires knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
Experience as a social media contributor in a fast-paced environment. Ability to create and manage marketing campaigns using standard social media tools, tactics, and principles. Experience analyzing analytics and making both quantitative and qualitative assessments. Able to manage a team of student assistants for content acquisition and creation.
Working knowledge of social media management systems (e.g. Hootsuite). Working knowledge of image processing (e.g. Lightroom), graphic design (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), and video post-production (e.g. Premier). Working knowledge of HTML, able to correct display issues and load/edit content in a CMS web editor (e.g.TerminalFour, Wordpress) using templates and WYSIWYG editors. Working knowledge of email marketing systems (e.g. Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
Strong proofreading skills with a thorough knowledge of leading style guide manuals. Outstanding time management skills; ability to coordinate logistics and execute all project details with an awareness of deadlines and attention to detail. Skills and flexibility to work cooperatively as a team member in a busy office.
Proven ability to learn new systems in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines. Advanced proficiency with cloud computing, productivity, and collaboration tools (e.g. Google Apps).
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
Working knowledge and understanding of basic database systems for use of content management systems, project management software, and email marketing systems (e.g. Airtable, Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Professional Suite; Google G-Suite; Oracle-PeopleSoft/ Common Management System or equivalent information systems; drives; and internet browsers. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB's Founding Vision Statement.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. The position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 15 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.