Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $6,151 to $6,750
CSU Salary Schedule
*CSUMB provides pay scales representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for this position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, and CSU systemwide pay for comparable jobs.
Priority Screening Date: June 16, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Maintenance and Operations, and the day-to-day work direction of the of the Lead Plumber; the Plumber is a journey-level skilled trade worker responsible for the full range of skilled plumbing work including the installation, maintenance, inspection, modification, remodel and repair of mechanical plumbing equipment and fixtures for water, gas, oil, steam, sewage, fire sprinkler/prevention, and refrigeration related plumbing systems, including automated plumbing systems. Position makes decisions based upon sound operating and maintenance practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responds to routine maintenance and service requests from the campus community; maintains, troubleshoots and tests plumbing systems, including completion of preventative maintenance work orders (e.g. backflow prevention devices).
- Assembles, installs and repairs pumps, pipes, fittings, and fixtures related to project work as well as general maintenance and repairs of campus buildings; cuts, threads and welds pipes; assembles and install valves, pipe fittings and pipes composed of a variety of metals and materials. Advises on the selection, ordering and storage of plumbing equipment and supplies; inspects completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations.
- Uses computerized maintenance systems, including preventive maintenance systems to ensure maintenance department objectives are met; maintains records and retrieves data related to work performed on various buildings, equipment and service information using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems; keeps detailed records of work finished; estimate cost, time and materials for plumbing projects; participate in the maintenance and operations of the plumbing shop; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems.
- Clean, maintain and service tools and equipment used in the performance of duties; perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures; maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service and satisfaction in all interactions with internal and external customers throughout the University.
- Consults with and provides support to, and engages in cross training with other Skilled Crafts workers.
- May rotates call back shifts (after-hours) with other Facilities Maintenance staff.
- Safely analyzes and responds to emergency situations
- Communicates through computer e‑mail, central computer calendar system, telephone voice mail systems and two‑way radio systems.
- Reads, interprets and works from drawings and specifications.
- As assigned on a de minimis basis, safely and effectively monitors, operates, maintains, and adjusts all pool mechanical systems including recirculation pump, filters and backwash, boilers, and associated controls to achieve proper pool operations. May require obtaining and maintaining a CPO (Certified Pool Operator Certification) or an AFO (Aquatic Facility Operator Certification).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge: Work requires thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the plumbing trade; a base knowledge of the operation of building automation systems; and a thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal health and safety orders and regulations pertaining to the plumbing trade, including the California State Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety and the California State Plumbing codes.
Abilities: Must be able to perform skilled plumbing work on all applicable equipment and systems; perform applicable welding work; obtain necessary backflow prevention licenses; make rough sketches of plumbing installations; read and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications; estimate materials and labor cost of standard plumbing maintenance and repair work; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems; provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations; prepare standard reports; read and write at the level appropriate to the position; and perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position. Incumbents may be required to possess a California Driver’s License valid for the operation of any vehicle or equipment they are required to maintain and operate.
Any combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard plumber’s apprenticeship program.
Possession of a valid California Plumber's Certificate, or other certification of Journey level experience.
Experience with work management database software, such as Limble; experience working and able to communicate effectively with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services; ability to understand different perspectives while utilizing expert knowledge of technical operations of the job; able to solve a problem in a collaborative team environment
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. The position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 15 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit Employee Benefits Summary. As a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.