Priority Screening Date: May 15, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Appointment Date: Fall 2023
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
CSUMB’s University Library is seeking an enthusiastic and innovative Business Librarian to join a collaborative team. This position offers creative opportunities for a forward-looking, pragmatic, and motivated librarian. The successful candidate will provide specialized research consultation, reference, information literacy instruction, and collection development services. This librarian will serve as a liaison to the College of Business (COB), whose programs include B.S. degrees in Business Administration and Sustainable Hospitality Management, minors in Business and Nonprofit Management, and the online graduate program—the Responsible Business MBA. The COB emphasizes preparing students for rewarding careers, with particular attention to Responsible Business and the Quintuple Bottom Line (Profit, People, Planet, Ethics, and Equity). The college’s areas of focus include accounting, agribusiness, business management, sustainable hospitality management, and entrepreneurship. The successful candidate will also serve on library and university committees and participate in shared governance.
The Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library’s mission is to help prepare knowledgeable, resourceful and responsible citizens for California and the global community by facilitating active exploration, discovery, and synthesis of information. As a teaching library, its faculty librarians manage and deliver active, outcomes-based instructional programs. The library’s design co-locates library services with campus programs supporting student success, including writing, peer-tutoring, advising and career services, and undergraduate research. We welcome individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences to join our growing team who support teaching, learning, research, and creative endeavors.
This 12-month tenure-track appointment is under the direction of the Library Dean. The work schedule will include occasional evening and weekend hours. In this collaborative environment, the successful candidate is responsible for meeting the library and campus criteria for retention, tenure, and promotion in four areas of scholarship: Teaching and Learning; Discovery, Creation, and Integration; Professional Application; and University Service. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the criteria at: https://csumb.edu/policy/retention-tenure-and-promotion-policy/ and https://csumb.edu/media/csumb/section-editors/university-personnel/vi.-LibraryRTPStandardsfinal2019.pdf
For additional information see: https://csumb.edu/library/
- Serve as faculty liaison to the College of Business and potential other subject areas depending on experience, education, and expertise
- Collaborate with library and university colleagues in developing a spectrum of library related information services in support of student success
- Fulfill collection development responsibilities for business, economics, agribusiness, and other potential subject areas
- Provide course-integrated information literacy instruction in business and other potential programs; provide instruction sessions for general education courses
- Participate in the library’s in-person and virtual reference and outreach services, including weekly reference hours (average 6 hours/week), along with staffing occasional outreach tables, events, and tours
- Meet faculty retention, tenure, and promotion expectations for scholarship, professional activities and service to the library and the university
- Pursue a research agenda within the field of academic librarianship
- Participate in library, university, and/or professional-level service commitments
- Provide and participate in library outreach activities
- Create, promote, and maintain instructional support tools, such as online research guides (LibGuides), tutorials, videos, and/or other digital learning objects to serve students, faculty, staff, and the community
- Maintain currency with the trends and developments in assigned areas of responsibility and the library field
- Work independently and collaboratively as part of a team by maintaining excellent organizational and time management skills
The items listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred. This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Master's degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school, or equivalent degree if earned from outside the U.S. or Canada, by the time of appointment.
- Understanding of emerging issues, trends, and standards in librarianship
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, analytical, communication, presentation, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated success working in a collaborative library or educational setting
- Experience and/or commitment to effectively work with students, faculty, and community members from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to persons of color, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and others
- Commitment to furthering CSUMB’s values and ideals, as identified in the University Founding Vision Statement
- Commitment to engage in scholarly and professional activities worthy of promotion and tenure
- Demonstrated experience developing collaborations with academic programs and/or faculty at an institution of higher of education
- Experience providing information literacy instruction in a classroom or group training setting, with an understanding of instructional design principles
- Experience with online instructional technology such as learning management systems, LibGuides, screencasting, and Zoom
- Knowledge of business and economic information sources
- Collection development experience
- Undergraduate degree, substantial coursework, or equivalent experience in a business setting
- Demonstrated ability and interest in implementing new technologies in an academic library
- Active involvement in professional development activities with record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession
- Additional graduate degree in business or a relevant discipline
- Proficiency in one or more non-English languages
- Participation in local, regional, or national professional organizations
- Familiarity with library operations and ability to apply prior experience to new and/or different situations
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The incumbent is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
COMPENSATION: Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $74,000 - $82,500
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; and membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). For more information, visit: CSU Benefits Summary. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Schoonover Employee Housing.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application and submit required documents by the priority screening date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.