Classification: Administrator III
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $10,680 to $11,610 per month
CSU Salary Schedule
*CSUMB provides pay scales representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for this position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, and CSU systemwide pay for comparable jobs.
Priority Screening Date: July 5, 2023
Recruitment Status: Extended
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Chief Information Officer, the incumbent is responsible for the management, oversight, and operations of the Enterprise Application Services department. Responsible for day-to-day management of the Project Management staff and general supervision of the Associate Directors. Responsible for ensuring that planned product/service implementations stay on schedule, reach milestones, meet expectations and objectives, and remain within the designated scope.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide oversight and direction to the Associate Directors in the development and operations of the dev/ops product teams including, but limited to: system administration, system monitoring, performance tuning, patches and fixes, clones/backup/recovery, infrastructure configuration, and unit testing.
- Monitor the progress of the Associate Directors’ on assigned tasks and projects.
- Oversee the development and operations of Project Management team including requirements gathering, business analysis, user experience, project planning, resource allocation, and related tasks.
- Create an environment that prioritizes strong relationships that focus on understanding and achieving CSUMB’s strategic goals.
- Build strategic relationships and collaborate with leaders across campus to identify, develop, and deliver projects/services that enhance productivity, improve the quality of work, and provide a better experience for our students.
- Develop and distribute communications and support coordination with campus stakeholders, advisory committees, governance bodies and related working groups; Communicate and coordinate with campus and IT cross functional teams, vendors and Chancellor’s Office project teams.
- Develop and implement department processes and procedures, direct department staff, and work with other department leaders to define, prioritize, and develop projects and programs to ensure successful completion of campuswide strategic projects.
- Provide training and document support services including integrating project management tools into other aspects of IT administration.
- Track the status of IT projects, coordinate and maintain close contact with CIO and IT leadership for escalating decisions, resource assignments, recommending and implementing procedural changes.
- Manage high priority projects as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Superior experience in leadership, change management, interpersonal and supervisory skills; exceptional verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills; experienced in guiding the work of both direct-reporting staff and project teams.
- Ability to demonstrate highly effective, productive, and motivational leadership skills. Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff.
- Ability to handle multiple, complex priorities and balance the needs of each according to business impact and established objectives.
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals to secure and/or provide information to clarify situations, resolves problems, and negotiates services and/or agreements.
- Problem-solving, negotiation, and decision-making skills to influence management; as well as, internal and external partners.
- Exhibit maturity, reliability, composure and stability under pressure as required for handling on-the-job challenges. Be able to give and take constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Excellent skills in analytic thinking and process, systems and metrics analysis.
- Skilled in consensus-building but also adept at establishing a course of action that will ensure achievement of objectives.
- Experience with comprehensive project management; principles, methods, techniques and practices for managing projects of any size or complexity.
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-department projects/implementations which achieved defined objectives, delivering defined results that established new or improved service(s).
- Excellent skills in developing and delivering effective training and communication materials to enable campus development of project plans.
- Knowledge of project plan development, project control techniques and project management software tools.
- Knowledge of IT systems and applications including access procedures, configuration protocols, networks, system integration and/or databases, and enterprise applications.
- Advanced technical knowledge of a varied set of technologies, such as server virtualization, advanced networking, identity and access management, and high-performance computing architecture.
- Management experience to assess performance and implement measures to improve performance.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND five (5) years of experience in Enterprise Information Technology infrastructure and/or related fields. Experience must include demonstrated abilities in leadership, planning, collaboration, and consensus-building, both within and external to the organization.
- Experience with Project Management Tools and technology.
- Experience supporting enterprise applications including: Application setup and configuration, business requirements gathering, review and finalization of scope documents, documentation (functional specifications), Q/A plan, testing, and training.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Information Technology from an accredited college or university and 8-10 years of information technology or information systems experience.
- Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs.
- Experience in strategic planning, project management, proposal writing, budget development, project estimating, personnel management, implementation and operation of a technology support group. Experience in developing portal technologies. Experience in the IT training environment, workflow analysis, and process mapping. Experience and progressively increasing responsibility in the management of a complex customer service environment comprised of multiple customer organizations with differing communication needs.
- Demonstrated interest in an educational or public sector environment.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority, will be required to participate in annual training, and to immediately forward to the Clery Compliance Officer all reports of Clery Act crimes brought to their attention.
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property
- authority to commit financial resources of the university through contracts greater than $10,000
- access to, or control over, cash, checks, credit cards, and/or credit card account information
- responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access
- control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. The position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
This is a management-level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; an excellent choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance; long-term disability coverage; life insurance; educational incentives; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 15 paid holidays a year. For further information, please visit Employee Benefits Summary. As a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.